Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Ghetto Crowns - Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Yeah, increments are better and easier to read. The last thing I want any of you to feel is weighted down, that sorta defeats the purpose of sharing my experiences with others.

Ghetto Crowns. I wore tons of the kewlest bandanas back then cause as you may recall from a previous posting, my hair fell out twice during the chemo period. I thought I was making those bandana caps right but after the 1st week I was almost in tears from the itching and abrasion that the slipping of those caps caused. They were made out of 100% cotton so I couldnt understand what was going on, it frustrated the living hell out of me at that point.

But one night when I stayed up late online - and I wish I could remember her name, but I still cant for the life of me - a black drag queen from the Baltimore, MD area came into my chatroom, Pozland, looking for one of her chat friends and she asked how I was doing, so I told her all about my bandana dilemma and I'll never forget what she told me.

She said "Spice, ooohhh child, youse doing it all wrong! LOL! You white boys sure do know how to fuck up the simple shit in life, don't you??" She made me laugh so hard I almost cried! So she took and explained to me very carefully how to make what she said was a Ghetto Crown. Let me see if I can still remember - you lay it out flat, the hankerchief; fold over in 1 inch increments 3 to 4 times on one end; place on your head and then wrap around and tie in the back. I tried it a few times and finally got it right - and, it worked! No more abrasion, no itching, no more pain.

Like with my little buddy Patrick, I never knew what happened to her (if I ever remember her name I must look for her, she was so nice to me) but I will never forget her and how she helped me out that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment