Friday, October 15, 2010

Telephone Line - Friday, October 15, 2010

No, this isn't gonna be about the 1976 hit song of the same name by ELO though I gotta admit, that song is definitely worth writing about if you like ELO, which I do!  But, I digress. Naturally one of the many ways that people love to connect with each other is by having a good telephone conversation and let's face it, it's not just one of the most widespread modes of communication with your fellow human beings, but it's so much more personable than talking via a text message or even here on the internet. For me personally though, with the anonymous angle and all, I must be extremely careful with who I consider talking over the phone with, and I dont mean this in a pompous, arrogant way either - by having phone contact with anyone whom I feel is not trustworthy, I run the risk of my accidentally revealing my true identity (why do I feel like Diana Prince every single time I use that phrase??) to the outside world and at this point in time, I just cant risk that, at least not yet. Eventually, yes, but not now.

Don't me wrong, I'm not writing this piece to tell people that I will never ever speak with anyone on the phone, quite the contrary; but, I do wanna let people know that I will be extremely cautious and careful in doing so because as we all know, people can portrary themselves however they damn well please behind their computer screens but in some cases what and who they say there are and who and what they really are in reality are two totally different things. For what it may be worth, none of what I am saying here is directed towards the people whom I consider my friends and family here on line - you know who you are and certainly by now you should know that I do indeed trust more than several of you. The sentiments contained within this piece are mainly directed at those individuals who are complete stangers to me, as well as those who still have a difficult time grasping the overall concept of my anonymity.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Anyone who knows me or knows of me online knows that I really enjoy joking around and even overtly flirting with those who do the same with me, it's all done in fun and commaraderie, perfectly harmless. Myself, I sincerely have just as great a time with this as anyone else does, and along the way I've struck up some very good friendships too. However, I do need to address a coupla issues regarding all of this.

First, many people have been asking me what my first name is and though I dont feel that should be an issue to any degree, you'd be surprised how many people out there are adamant in knowing. I guess for some reason some people find calling me "Spice" or "Spicey" too much of an inconvenience, almost to the point of it being a mental roadblock. I'll admit, anonymity or not, I just don't get that, but I just go along with it because maybe this is one of those minute things in life that I'm not suppose to understand, ya know? It's possible I guess.

Second, I am truly flattered and honored (and I mean both in the most humblest of demeanors) that those whom I joke around and/or are my sincere friends do want to get to know me better, even moreso by the fact that several or more people have felt comfortable enough to give me their phone numbers, attached with the invitation to feel free to call and talk sometime. Seriously, I am so blown away by this because by doing this people are validating what they themselves and I already know - I am a very honest, trustworthy real human being. People do indeed assume correctly - I would never intentionally, let alone in a malicious manner, ever violate someone else's privacy. The only issue I have with this phone number business is that there are also a great deal of people I dont know out there who literally will approach me online and say "Here's my number, call me!" and I would love to call them because no one enjoys a good conversation with a good friend better than I do, but before I can do that, I have to get know someone better. 

True, there are a great deal of folks out there who dont have any problems whatsoever exchanging their phone numbers with other people online, after all, we're all mature rational adults, right? In the majority of cases that is true and for those who think it's no big deal, hey, more power to you. But myself, I'm still a bit cautious. I know people will tell me I dont need to be but those very same people have never walked a mile in my shoes. Most people dont know what it's like to run their garbage outside in the wee hours of the morning (looking one's worst I might add, but who doesnt at 5 a.m.?) only to find 4 to 5 reporters snapping photos and asking "How are you this morning? Hey, is he in there?" Most people dont know what it's like to go on a private weekend getaway to Lake Tahoe and as you're sitting in the lew, looking out the tiny window and seeing a few cameras poised in the pine trees and for that split second thinking "Dare I even attempt to wipe my ass, lest that appears on the front page of the Inquirer too?" But the one that majorly incenses me the most, even after these extremely long 21 years later, is walking out of the side entrance of that hospital, with eyelids almost swollen shut from crying for over an hour or more non-stop, and being greeted by clicking cameras and people yelling "Hey, how are you? Is he dead yet? Did they say exactly what he died of? Arent you gonna talk to us?" No, the infuriating anger and rage which was born on that horrible morning does NOT happen in everyone's lifetime, but it certainly happened in mine. I wouldnt wish that kind of unimaginable emotional hell on anyone, the mental shockwaves of the experience itself were deafening.

Up until the time of that last example, I have never had any problems trusting people - and I still dont - but I am a bit more cautious than your average person, naturally for obvious reasons. What do I expect from people out there in internet-land? Just to be a bit more understanding and patient with me, that's all. I dont think that's asking too much and if you do, then you need to walk away, because zero tolerance of bullshit is yet another mainstay of my life these days. As for the real people out there, the genuine ones who really do care, I very much look forward to speaking with you on the phone in the near future and yes, getting to know each and every one of you better. Thank you for reading. 

 

 

Posted via email from Luctor Et Emergo

No comments:

Post a Comment